News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

alphaMELTS version of tutorial: 'Quick start using MELTS'

Started by sjmagnus2, March 07, 2013, 12:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjmagnus2

Dear Paula,
I have successfully installed the program and its path, and have been trying this tutorial.  However, I've come across a problem:

When I execute: 3 - single <batch> calculation

the program estimates: Initial guess P=500 bars, T=1473.15 C
   which is the first problem, then it proceeds to calculate, and ultimately produces

"Activity of H2O=0.0140176 Melt Fraction=1
WARNING: Minimum Pressure exceeded

I've fiddled with the pressure, and tried this out with my own data, with no improvement.  Is there something I still need to do to set up the program properly?

Thanks,

Magnus

Paula

Hi Magnus,

By default alphaMELTS uses the pMELTS liquid model (with a minimum pressure of 1 GPa) and runs with temperature output in Kelvins. The settings_file, FracXtalTutorial.txt, resets ALPHAMELTS_VERSION to MELTS and switches on ALPHAMELTS_CELSIUS_OUTPUT. So it sounds like run_alphamelts.command is not picking up the settings_file for some reason. How are you starting run_alphamelts.command / alphamelts?

Paula

sjmagnus2

I had just been double-clicking on the "alphamelts_win32" application and commencing from there, but I just used the Perl command line and ran "run_alphamelts" from there, and then it asked me for the settings file.  I pressed enter to use the default, and the thing ran through without an error!

I've got it running something right now and it seems to be moving along alright, except it seems to have problems with Melilite convergence.

I'll keep playing around with this and get to know it - I'll post my goal in a more appropriate thread so you don't have to move it ;)

Thanks for the quick response!

Magnus