News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Installing Alphamelt 1-9 on Window 10

Started by girei2019, December 25, 2019, 06:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

girei2019

Compliments of the season everyone!
I am new to the melts family of software, I have been trying for a couple of days to get alphamelt version 1-9 installed on my window 10. As recommend, I first installed activePerl on my window and proceed to install the alphamelt software by opening the install.command using Perl. After setting the path, I proceed to install the software but I keep getting same feedback that some executable files are missing. I want to know if I am missing some vital steps. Please see below the detail.
Cheers
Musa BG.

SERPROFILE=C:\Users\GIREI
PATH=C:\Perl64\site\bin;C:\Perl64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Files\cpp\bin\Intel64;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;return
Enter full path for installation directory, or press return to use the current directory given in brackets
[C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\]: return
Enter full path of directory to put links in, or press return to use the default location given in brackets
[C:\Users\GIREI\Documents\bin]: return
Enter full path of directory to put examples in, or press return to use the default location given in brackets
[C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\examples]: return
Enter full or relative path of the default settings file, or press return to use the one given in brackets
[alphamelts_default_env.txt]: return
The 'return' directory appears to be in your path.
Continue with installation (y or n)? y
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.command
    (Default)    REG_SZ    command_auto_file
The operation completed successfully.
Command was: reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\.command /ve /t REG_SZ /d command_auto_file /

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\perl.exe\shell
Command was: reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\perl.exe\shell\open\command /ve /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe \"%1\" %*" /f
Command was: reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\perl.exe\shell\edit\command /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%\system32\Notepad.exe %1" /f
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\command_auto_file\shell
Command was: reg copy HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\perl.exe HKCU\Software\Classes\command_auto_file /s /f
        1 file(s) copied.
        1 file(s) copied.
        1 file(s) copied.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Could not copy all executable files!
Installation aborted or incomplete!
Press return to finish.

asimow

It seems you are typing the word "return" where the instructions mean to say that you should just press the 'return' key to get the default install locations and options...

Paula

There is a minor bug in the install script that, as Paul points out, you are only hitting because you are typing out the word 'return'. If, instead, you press the return key you may still get the an error message, but the installation will have worked.

For others alphaMELTS users:

• If you want to use a different installation directory to the default one on Windows, you will need to download this fixed version of install.command and replace the one that came in the package.
  • If you want to use the default installation directory, you can use the old install.command script. If you get an error message it should be harmless (the script will only have failed to copy a file onto itself...).
The issue only affects Windows.

Paula

girei2019

Thank you Asimow and Paula, after pressing return as you advised everything seem to work perfectly. My only concern now is how to edit the setting files. As suggested in the manual, I edited the variable in the alphamelt_default_env.txt to suit my purpose and run the software through the run-command-line option. The alphamelts seem to recognized the new variables I imputed except the PTPATH Mode. I set the PTPATH that I want to use to carried out partial melting modelling see MusaPath.txt below, after imputing the imput file, the software seem to have used a default PTpath rather than the new MusaPath.txt I intended to use for my calculation. Is there anything wrong with the new PTPath that I set?
Thank you
Musa
MusaPath.text
11000   1500

11000   1480

11000   1460

11000   1440

11000   1420

11000   1400

11000   1380

11000   1360

11000   1340

11000   1320

11000   1300

11000   1280

11000   1260

11000   1240

11000   1220

11000   1200

11000   1180

11000   1160

11000   1140

11000   1120

11000   1100

11000   1080

11000   1060

girei2019

Apologies! I forgot to add the edited alphamelts_default_env. txt files, see below.

!Default values of environment variables (version 1.6)
!Variables preceeded by '!' are 'unset' (i.e. 'false')
ALPHAMELTS_VERSION pMELTS
!ALPHAMELTS_OLD_GARNET true
!ALPHAMELTS_OLD_SPINEL true
!ALPHAMELTS_OLD_BIOTITE true
!ALPHAMELTS_2_AMPH true
!ALPHAMELTS_NO_CHLORITE true
ALPHAMELTS_MODE PTPATH
ALPHAMELTS_PTPATH_FILE MusaPath.txt
ALPHAMELTS_DELTAP +0
ALPHAMELTS_DELTAT -20
ALPHAMELTS_MAXP +11000
ALPHAMELTS_MINP +11000
ALPHAMELTS_MAXT +1500
ALPHAMELTS_MINT 900
!ALPHAMELTS_ALTERNATIVE_FO2 true
!ALPHAMELTS_LIQUID_FO2 true
!ALPHAMELTS_IMPOSE_FO2 true
!ALPHAMELTS_FO2_PRESSURE_TERM true
!ALPHAMELTS_CONTINUOUS_MELTING true
ALPHAMELTS_MINF 0.005
!ALPHAMELTS_MINPHI 0.002

Paula

Hi Musa,

Try putting 'PTpath' instead of 'PTPATH'. Your file should be fine (it's displaying a bit funny here because it has Windows line endings and the forum is hosted on a Linux box).

Paula

girei2019

Thank you Paula, it works perfectly after I made the change you asked me to do. But I think the output temperature is in kelvin, is that correct?
Cheers
Musa

Paula

Hi Musa,

Yes output is in Kelvin, unless you set ALPHAMELTS_CELSIUS_OUTPUT to something (any value will do).

Paula

girei2019

Dear Paula,
Please help me!
I had my alphamelt version 1-9 working perfectly on my window 10 but my computer developed software problem last week I formatted it, and now I am trying to re-install same version of alphamelt. I keep getting this error message:

USERPROFILE=C:\Users\GIREI
PATH=C:\Perl64\site\bin;C:\Perl64\bin;C:\Users\GIREI\Documents\bin;return;C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\run_alphamelts.command

Enter full path for installation directory, or press return to use the current directory given in brackets
[C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\]:

Enter full path of directory to put links in, or press return to use the default location given in brackets
[C:\Users\GIREI\Documents\bin]:

Enter full path of directory to put examples in, or press return to use the default location given in brackets
[C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\examples]:

Enter full or relative path of the default settings file, or press return to use the one given in brackets
[alphamelts_default_env.txt]:
Use of uninitialized value $path in scalar chomp at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 123, <STDIN> line 4.

The 'C:\Users\GIREI\Documents\bin' directory appears not to be in your path.
install.command will try to add it to the path during installation.

Continue with installation (y or n)? y

Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 163, <STDIN> line 5.
Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 164, <STDIN> line 5.
Command was: reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\.command /ve /t REG_SZ /d command_auto_file /f

Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 168, <STDIN> line 5.
Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 171, <STDIN> line 5.
Command was: reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\perl.exe\shell\open\command /ve /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe \"%1\" %*" /f

Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 175, <STDIN> line 5.
Command was: reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\perl.exe\shell\edit\command /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%\system32\Notepad.exe %1" /f

Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 181, <STDIN> line 5.
Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 182, <STDIN> line 5.
Command was: reg copy HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\perl.exe HKCU\Software\Classes\command_auto_file /s /f

Warning: installing .command scripts only as cannot find alphamelts executable! at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 217, <STDIN> line 5.
Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 375.
Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\install.command line 375.
Could not copy all example files!

Installation aborted or incomplete!
Press return to finish.

Could you please let me know what can I do to fix it?
Thank you.
With kind regards
Musa

Paula

How are you opening install.command? The problem is that the System folders are missing in the Path. E.g. before you had:

PATH=C:\Perl64\site\bin;C:\Perl64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Files\cpp\bin\Intel64;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;return

(The "return" on the end was because of your previous attempts to install alphaMELTS, but that shouldn't make any difference.)

Now you have:

PATH=C:\Perl64\site\bin;C:\Perl64\bin;C:\Users\GIREI\Documents\bin;return;C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\run_alphamelts.command

It is probably related to the computer problem that led to you reformatting, rather than directly to do with installing alphaMELTS. This link explains how to fix the path:

https://www.architectryan.com/2018/03/17/add-to-the-path-on-windows-10/

You need to add, at least, these:

C:\Windows\system32
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\System32\Wbem

You can delete "return" and "C:\Users\GIREI\Desktop\windows_alphamelts_1-9\run_alphamelts.command".
You can keep "C:\Users\GIREI\Documents\bin".

Best,
Paula

girei2019

Thank you for the suggestions Paula, it works perfectly now.
With kind regards
Musa