News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Phase Diagram Check?

Started by lizjohnson, October 04, 2011, 10:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lizjohnson

Hi Paula,
I am in the midst of learning to use adiabat1_ph and I was wondering if there was an example phase diagram based on any of the default mantle compositions available in the download package?  It would be great to make sure I'm using pMELTS correctly....

Paula

Hi Liz,

The best I can do at the moment is this. It's from a short course that Paul and I ran at Caltech recently. It's based on this, which was a short source that Paul ran at Brown a few years ago, but I updated it to Adiabat_1ph 3 and expanded it to include, amongst other things, the phase diagram mode.

There are three exercises and, within each exercise, later parts rely on you having done the earlier parts. Fortunately the phase diagram part is the first part of the third exercise so you don't need to do any of the earlier stuff. It's all a bit rough at the moment - the last part, on trace elements, isn't even finished. The plan is to tidy things, post answers and / or plots, and link it from the main site. In the meantime you, or anyone else, are welcome to have a go and I can send you the output files to compare with what you get.

So far I've updated it to account for a few things that have changed in version 3.1, mostly bug fixes. For phase diagram mode the main thing that's changed it that the specific use of ADIABAT_DELTAP in phase diagram mode has been added to the documentation (it was missing before for some reason). And ADIABAT_DELTAP now only affects solid phase boundaries, not liquid - so the 'find liquidus' function (see the tutorial) works regardless of what ADIABAT_DELTAP is set to.

Hope that is of some help.

Paula