News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

to fractionate certain phases

Started by charles, April 06, 2007, 10:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles

In Adiabat_1ph software, alkali-feldspar and plagioclase are both treated as “feldspar”. How can I select K-spar or plagioclase when I want to fractionate certain phases in crystallization process?

Paula

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.  (I did e-mail you at the time but maybe it got mistaken for spam?)  Anyway, the short answer to your question is that currently (v1.7.2) there isn't a way to distinguish between more than one instance of an exsolved phase when selecting phases for fractionation.  It's a sensible thing to want to do though, especially in the case of feldspar and pyroxenes, so I am trying a simple way to implement it in the adiabat_1ph code.

Please could you send me a copy of your melts_file and commands_file, so that I can test whether it works?  Or alternatively, let me know which operating system you are on and I'll e-mail you a link to the test copy of the adiabat_1ph program so you can have a go before it gets included in the public version.

Thanks,
Paula

charles

Hi, Paula.

Thanks for your reply, and I don't know why I cannot receive your email. Recently my operating system has been changed to Windows VISTA. Of course, I have tested that Adiabat_1ph can work in gear in the New System. Waiting for your help.

Paula

Hi Charles,

Glad to hear that it works on Vista as we don't have a means to test that here at the moment.

I have just e-mailed you with a link and instructions for a version of the program that can selectively fractionate phases.  I have tested it for clinopyroxenes and it seemed to work but see how you get on with feldspars.

Let me know if you don't receive the e-mail.

Paula

Paula

Version 1.8 has the ability to fractionate one instance of an exsolved phase.  The procedure is described in detail in the documentation so I'm not going to repeat it here.  If anyone has problems with it, please do let us know.

Cheers,
Paula

P.S. I moved this topic to 'Magma chamber processes' as it mainly concerns fractional crystallization.