News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Wrong temperature output.

Started by Lisa Simpson, December 07, 2006, 10:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Simpson

I input my starting pressure (1000) and temperature (1200) using option 2 in adiabat_1ph and then executed with option 4. After I quit the program I looked at the output. The pressures are correct but all the temperatures are too high.  Please help!

Lisa
Lisa Simpson, Springfield.

Paula

Hi Lisa,

All input temperatures are in oC but all the output temperatures are in K so they should be 273.15 higher. 

The only exception should be if you output a melts_file using option 8 in adiabat_1ph, in which case the output 'Initial Temperature:' will be in oC.

Hope that helps!
Paula

robert

I realize this post is almost a year old now, and I understand that thermodynamically using the Kelvin scale makes sense, but perhaps it would be prudent to have the code adjust back to Celsius (by default, maybe introduce a variable to keep it K?) prior to writing the output files. Everything else is input as C and I'll go on a limb and say that practically every geologic paper I've read uses Celsius, so it's a little annoying to mentally gauge adiabat's results when you have to constantly subtract 273 from everything.     

Paula

As you know, I am currently trying to get together the next version of Adiabat_1ph. Now that you've requested it, I will include an option to have the output in oC, at least for the text files. It won't be the default, which will remain as K - we try keep the software backwards compatible where possible. Some users have post-processing schemes that rely on the output being in a certain format and, as you say, it makes sense for thermodynamic calculations to use Kelvin (although really we should be using GPa instead of bars...)

;)
Paula

robert

Paula

Hi Robert,

I've just put another test version of the 64-bit Linux version in the same folder as before (adiabat_1ph_celsius). This has an ADIABAT_CELSIUS_OUTPUT environment variable that when set means the program prints oC values. This should cover the text and screen output, including the trace elements and cubicquad2 files (internal or standalone) where appropriate. If you spot anything I've missed please let me know.

Paula

P.S. This version also has the 'only check for updates after 6 hours' feature that I mentioned elsewhere so see if that works O.K. on your machine.
P.P.S. Sorry about the typos in the original post - it's all fixed now.