News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

outputfile basics

Started by thieu, March 12, 2009, 01:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thieu

Dear,

I'm a new user of adiabat_1ph and my task is to learn working with it as a student.
I have two quastions at this moment (very basic).

1) I cant find in de tutorial/manual what the output file realy gives :

Liquid Thermodynamic Data--> I understand
Liquid Compositions:--> I understand
Solids compositions:--> I dont realy understand because the output file only gives here pressure en temerature.
Phase Masses:--> what does this mean? (for examample for liquid_0 : 100.282243
Residual bulk composition --> what does that mean?
Bulk composition:--> and this?

2) I would like to make some diagrams with the output information, so I always
open the files with micrsosoft excell. I have read in the manual that the tabulars are delimited by 'space' and
when openening the files in excell I take that in calculation. But isn't there a good way to import the
files in microsoft excell without having problems with the point and comma's?

Thank toy very much

Mathieu

Paula

Hi Mathieu,

Quote from: thieu on March 12, 2009, 01:21:15 PM
1) I cant find in de tutorial/manual what the output file realy gives :

Liquid Thermodynamic Data--> I understand
Liquid Compositions:--> I understand
Solids compositions:--> I dont realy understand because the output file only gives here pressure en temerature.
Phase Masses:--> what does this mean? (for examample for liquid_0 : 100.282243
Residual bulk composition --> what does that mean?
Bulk composition:--> and this?

If the Solid Compositions output has only temperature and pressure then it means two things.  Firstly there are no solids present and secondly run_adiabat.pl is probably not tidying up the output for you (or you are looking at the untidied version). When run_adiabat.pl processes the output it splits the tables into separate files (e.g. Bulk_comp.txt, Solids_comp.txt) and, if solids are present, it produces a significantly neater version of the solids output, which resembles the output from the GUI version of MELTS.

The easiest way to get run_adiabat.pl to tidy up the output is to set ADIABAT_CRASH_FILE to the name of the file you want.  In this case, the output will be written automatically and you do not need to use option 11 to write out the file.  The program will run slightly slower because it is writing output after each calculation but on modern machines the difference in speed is negligible.  Furthermore, if the program crashes for any reason before you can call menu option 11 you still have the output.

Alternatively, if you do not want to keep changing the ADIABAT_CRASH_FILE variable, use the '-o' switch for run_adiabat.pl e.g.:

run_adiabat.pl -f mycommands.txt -o myoutput1.txt

...and then make sure you name the file 'myoutput1.txt' when you call menu option 11.

When run_adiabat.pl tidies the output there should be a file called Solids_comp.txt file that contains one table for each mineral phase stabilised during the run.  For each instance when the phase is present there should be a line in the file with temperature and pressure, the mass of the phase in grams and either the formula, if is a pure phase, or the composition in wt%, if it is a solid solution.  The original solids output will be in Sol_crash.txt.

'liquid_0 : 100.282243' means that there are 100.282243 grams of liquid (melt).  The '_0' means that it is the first liquid; the second one would be labelled '_1'.  In practice you will not get another liquid unless ADIABAT_MULTIPLE_LIQUIDS is set but it is fairly common to get more that one clinopyroxene, say, and these will also be labelled '_0'. '_1', etc..  Note that the file is named 'Phase_props.txt', for historical reasons, but the values are actually masses not proportions i.e. they are in grams and are not normalised to 100 wt%.

The Residual Bulk composition is the composition of everything, except liquid, normalised to 100 wt%.

The Bulk composition is the composition of everything, including liquid, normalised to 100 wt%.

Quote from: thieu on March 12, 2009, 01:21:15 PM
2) I would like to make some diagrams with the output information, so I always
open the files with micrsosoft excell. I have read in the manual that the tabulars are delimited by 'space' and
when openening the files in excell I take that in calculation. But isn't there a good way to import the
files in microsoft excell without having problems with the point and comma's?

What kind of problems with points and commas?  I haven't experienced such problems but using the output that run_adiabat.pl has tidied up should make importing into Excel a bit easier.  Make sure that points and commas are not included as delimiters.  You can also use column_pick.pl to make one big table of values (see the manual for more information).

Hope that helps (belatedly).  If you have any more queries please don't hesitate to post again (I've been on leave but I'll be around more from now on so your post will get answered...).

Paula