News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

High liquidus temperature rhyoliteMELTS

Started by vladimirgeo, October 21, 2016, 11:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vladimirgeo

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the liquidus temperature calculation. I am using the 1.2.0 rhyolite+MELTS+CO2+new-H2O. When I calculate T for anhydrous compositions, it gives me quite promising estimates (for instance 1120°C). However, when I add a little bit of water, let's say 3.5wt%, it suddenly gives me a temperature of 5000°C or so. I know I need to click something ... I tried everything, can you please help me?

Vlad

Paula

Hi Vlad,

The problem is that in MELTS, generally, any phase that is not silicate liquid is classed as 'solid'. The 'Find Liquidus' function in the graphical user interface (GUI) searches for the point where one or more 'solid' phases are just saturated. In a fluid-rich system where vapor is exsolved, the 'Find Liquidus' function will keep pushing the temperature up to try to melt the 'solid' phase.

MELTS_Excel has a 'Find  wet  liquidus' function which  searches  for  the  point  where  any  solid phase  except  water (or H2O-CO2 fluid) is  just  saturated. So you could try that. The next update of the alphaMELTS 2 beta (see here) will have a 'Find wet liquidus'-like function for the rhyolite-MELTS+H2O+CO2 fluid model too.

Otherwise, for the GUI, your best option is to first locate the anhydrous liquidus. Then for the hydrous system start at the anhydrous liquidus and step down-temperature in 1oC increments, say, and note where any other phase (other than fluid) joins the assemblage.

Paula