News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Change model version for running xmelts through Melts-batch

Started by Jule, July 20, 2020, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jule

Hi all - we used the codes from the ENKI github collection to set up batch-running of several rhyolite-melts runs through xmelts with Melts-batch, and it has been working like a charm. Now I want to do some runs varying CO2 and therefore wanted to change the rhyolite-melts version to the mixed-fluid model in v. 1.1.x. I changed the model selection in the input xml files accordingly but somehow the output water.tbl files still show 100 wt% H2O. From the output xml file it says release>rhyolite-MELTS (1.0.1) pMELTS (5.6.1) so that makes me think that there is some other place where this would need to be modifiedââ,¬Â¦ do you know how or where?
Thanks!

Paula

Hi Jule,

On the main branches - master, develop - the model choice is hardcoded in the source. On the alphaMELTS branch, I added a compiler flag so that it is easier to switch between models (to build Melts-batch executables for the Magma Chamber Simulator crew). But it looks like I never pushed those edits to the GitLab server. Let me tidy up a bit and I'll get it up there tomorrow.

Cheers,
Paula

Jule

Hi Paula - have you had the chance to have a look at the code already? Can you let me know when the new version is online?
Thanks!

Paula

A version of the code that makes it easy to compile any of the Melts-batch executables is now on GitLab. Make sure you are on the alphaMELTS branch (e.g. "git checkout alphaMELTS") and then, if necessary, adjust the instructions in the README so that:
    make Melts-batch                                         ... builds the pMELTS version
    make Melts-batch "VERSION=-DV102"         ... builds rhyolite-MELTS 1.0.2
    make Melts-batch "VERSION=-DV110"          ... builds rhyolite-MELTS 1.1.0
    make Melts-batch "VERSION=-DV120"            ... builds rhyolite-MELTS 1.2.0

Quick tip for Mac users: if you download the Magma Chamber Simulator (https://mcs.geol.ucsb.edu) and it has all four Melts-batch files already built for you!

Paula

Paula

UPDATE: The alphaMELTS branch on the ENKI xMelts repository has been renamed MAGMA, for MAGMA@Caltech and the Magma Chamber Simulator (MCS). You need to request access from Mark Ghiorso if you would like to access the code.

Since this thread was started, a Windows version of Magma Chamber Simulator has been developed, so the trick of extracting the Melts-batch executables from a MCS download now works for both. There are also executables included in the GitLab repository for Mac, Windows and Linux.

Previously the <modelSelection> tag in MELTS .xml input didn't do anything for the standalone Melts-batch executables (it did work for the MELTS web services). Now that has been fixed, but only on the MAGMA branch, and not in MCS yet.

You can still build executables with different default choices of model, and indeed that is still the only way to change models if you are using .melts input. There is more information, including how to build the native Windows version(s), in the README on the MAGMA branch.

The Melts-batch executables in the GitLab repository use the latest code (i.e. more recent than the latest MCS release). They target rhyolite-MELTS 1.0.2 by default, unless otherwise labelled, but you can always change model with .xml input.

Paula