News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

getting started with adiabat_ph1

Started by Jim Beard, March 16, 2011, 07:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Beard

I'm a new user (windows 7). I can run adiabat_1ph, but only in the default (isenthalpic) mode. The program returns the 15 usual options, but nothing else. Whenever I try to link to another mode, the program fails to run (a "not a valid program" type of message). I'd like to run in an isobaric, equilibrium crystallization mode. Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Jim Beard

Paula

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting and for your patience while I was working on the install script that I hope will make it easier for new users to run Adiabat_1ph, especially on Windows. It also fixes Windows-specific problems with the Perl program, which is required for the adiabat_1ph program to run properly.

From what you say I am not sure whether you have Perl installed. You need to make sure that .pl files are being opened by perl.exe.  If you used the Strawberry Perl installer then it will be in "C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe". If not, and you have MATLAB, then there is a small but perfectly adequate Perl installation included with the Windows version of that software. Right-click a .pl file and then browse to "C:\Program Files\MATLAB\Ryear\sys\perl\win32\bin\perl.exe". (I got that path from 32-bit machine running XP - it's possible that there isn't a win32 folder on your machine but hopefully it'll be obvious what folder to look in instead...) Otherwise, I would recommend the portable version of Strawberry Perl (currently 5.12.2.0). Make a new folder (IMPORTANT!) and download and extract the zip file into the new folder - the Perl program will then be at "new_folder_name\perl\bin\perl.exe".

Then you need to download install.pl and the newer run_adiabat.pl. There are more details about that and instructions for running install.pl here:

http://magmasource.caltech.edu/forum/index.php/topic,90.msg207/topicseen.html#msg207

Next, I would test your Perl and Adiabat_1ph installations by running the tutorial example as that calculation is quite similar to ones you would like to perform. If that works, then try running it with your own melts_files and commands_file (or comment out the ADIABAT_FRACTIONATE_SOLIDS line in the example commands_file).

Please let me know how you get on :-)

Cheers,
Paula