News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Restarting from an earlier step in easyMelts

Started by KevinFarries, April 13, 2024, 09:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinFarries

Hi Paula,

I was previously using the rhyolite-Melts GUI and have switched across to easyMelts.  In rhyolite-Melts if the algorithm fails to converge, it is possible to tweak some of the parameters then continue with the analysis.  Is there a way to do this with easyMelts?  If the there is a convergence failure, the "equilibrate" button disappears and I can't see a way to continue the calculation.

Thanks!

Kevin

Paula

Hi Kevin,

I haven't managed to reproduce convergence failure, as opposed to just hanging, but there are two ways I would try to tackle it:

1. Write out a .melts file of the current state. Edit the file, then restart easyMelts and read in the file. This may be your only option for fractional melting.

2. Start from the top with "Set initial T & P", Save, "Set initial composition", Save. I think the Equilibrate button will reappear.

Note that, unlike the rhyolite-MELTS GUI, in easyMelts T, P, and composition are not updated in the input boxes as the calculation proceeds. So you may need to copy them from the last good step (if it's fractional crystallization) and/or the initial conditions (if it's a batch calculation). Drag the slider to the right to get the last good step.

Paul @asimow uses eayMelts more than me so may have a better workaround.

Paula