News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Problem for changing environment settings file

Started by wzl123492, August 11, 2021, 05:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wzl123492

Hi,

I am learning the online tutorials/manual and will use alphaMELTS to test the crystallization paths. I work on Windows 10 equipped with Strawberry Perl, and I have followed the install guidelines in the manual.
I opened the run_alphamelts.command through Perl, but when I then attempt to change the environment settings file using the -f command, I get the following error message:

No command line switches specified! Please enter switches now
(or press return for default '-f alphamelts_default_env.txt').
-f
ALPHAMELTS_DELTAT +10
ALPHAMELTS_MINT 0
ALPHAMELTS_MODE isentropic
ALPHAMELTS_MINP +1
ALPHAMELTS_MAXT +2000
ALPHAMELTS_VERSION pMELTS
ALPHAMELTS_MASSIN 0.001
ALPHAMELTS_MAXP +40000
ALPHAMELTS_DELTAP +1000
ALPHAMELTS_MINF 0.005

The system cannot find the file specified.
RUN_ALPHAMELTS.COMMAND WARNING: alphamelts may have crashed!

RUN_ALPHAMELTS.COMMAND WARNING: Cannot find output file "Phase_main_tbl.txt" (No such file or directory)
Please check that alphamelts ran properly.
Run again (y or n)?

Could you please help me to make some guidances? I would appreciate it if you could do me the favour. Thanks!

Zilong

Paula

Hi Zilong,

You need to type "-f pathtosettingsfile". Actually, you can type "-f " and then drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer.

I think there may be another problem because the error message is different to what I would have expected. But it depends a little on exactly how you start alphaMELTS. On a Mac from Terminal I get:

No command line switches specified! Please enter switches now
(or press return for default '-f alphamelts_default_env.txt').
-f
RUN_ALPHAMELTS.COMMAND ERROR: Cannot open settings_file "alphamelts_default_env.txt" (No such file or directory)
Run again (y or n)?

Anyway, trying adding the file name and let me know if it's still not working.

Thanks,
Paula

wzl123492

Hello Paula,

Thanks for your reply! I have tried typing "-f alphamelts_default_env.txt" and "-f D:\Pictures\Saved Pictures\alphaMELTS_1-9\alphamelts_default_env.txt". Unfortunately, it is still not working, and the error message is the same as before.

Best regards,
Zilong

Paula

The first one will fail unless there is an alphamelts_default_env.txt file where you are launching run_alphamelts.command from (e.g. the 'bin' folder if you are using the default double-click mode). The second one will fail because there is a space in the folder name. If you drag-and-drop the file onto the command line then the system should escape the space (probably by putting the whole path in quotes).

I would try going through the tutorial, either the regular 1.9 version or the double-click version and then see if you can get your example working:

https://magmasource.caltech.edu/forum/index.php/topic,131.0.html
https://magmasource.caltech.edu/forum/index.php/topic,752.0.html

Did you run install.command?

Paula

wzl123492

I have ran the install.command, and checked these two problems to ensure they are OK. I think the problem is due to the system failure of my computer. I changed to use the computer of my colleague and the alphaMELTS runs smoothly.
Many thanks!

Zilong

thiagoqfv

I was using the alphamelts 1.9 in my ubuntu system and unexpectedly the same problem happened. I'm trying to change pathways from environments, starting composition, batch file and output paste but it is not working. I saw this post and thought it was import to report too, maybe my solution will be like Zilong.

Paula

I'm not sure they are the same problem, though it is a bit difficult to tell without seeing what either of you are typing etc. They could both be Path problems.

Is this standalone Ubuntu or Ubuntu in the WSL? There's a post about Path problems on the WSL here:

https://magmasource.caltech.edu/forum/index.php/topic,926.0.html

It's slightly out of date, in that it can be OK to use something like Notepad to edit if you are using WSL 2. But the workaround towards the end of the post is simpler anyway.

Paula