News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Offsetting from the NNO buffer in rhyolite-MELTS

Started by mustafa, March 30, 2023, 04:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustafa

Firstly, my sincere apologies if this is a repetitive post. I've thumbed through the alphaMELTS software manual and have used the search function, so I hope that it is not.

When reading a .melts file into rhyolite-MELTS v.1.1.0, the software doesn't seem to accept the log fO2 Delta condition to offset from the buffer. Example lines for a .melts input file:

log fO2 Path: NNO
log fO2 Delta: -0.7

The error message is:

Error during input file read, offending record: log fo2 delta: -0.7 (sic)

My intention is to get an oxygen fugacity 0.7 log units below the NNO buffer. Is it that the log fO2 Delta setting is not supported? Or rather, am I inputting this setting incorrectly in the .melts file?

Cheers, W

Paula

Hi,

Log fO2 Delta: is an alphaMELTS 1.X-specific line, and alphaMELTS 1.9 doesn't have the Rhyolite-MELTS thermodynamic model.

In alphaMELTS 2 and friends (MATLAB, Python versions), which do have the Rhyolite-MELTS models, the line is Log fO2 Offset: for consistency with other versions of MELTS, such as the one included in the Magma Chamber Simulator.

The Rhyolite-MELTS graphical user interface and easyMelts interfaces don't accept either line in the .melts file - they only have (mostly integer) offsets from FMQ.

Paula

mustafa

Hi Paula,

Thank you for the rapidity of your reply, much appreciated. I will look into using alphaMELTS 2.

Best,
Wasim

-- addendum: I've signed up for a GitLab account under the name 'wasim-mustafa'.

Paula

Hi Wasim,
Sorry I only just saw your addendum. You should have received an invite.
Paula