News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Calculating potential temperatures in pMELTS

Started by jakemoore, August 16, 2008, 12:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakemoore

Paula,

Is there an specific way to calculate a potential temperature in pMELTS?  I've looked through all the documentation and references for it I can find, but I can't find anything.  The definition I'm familiar with has to do with the temperature a packet of mantle (in this case) would have if it were to rise isentropically (and reversibly) from a starting P-T condition to 1 atm without experiencing any melting.  I believe this comes from work by McKenzie, but I could be mistaken.  Regardless, this seems problematic for pMELTS as it's minimum pressure is 1 GPa.  Is there a way around this?  Using option 9 to suppress liquid is the obvious (and I believe intended) method for doing this type of calculation, except for the pressure bit.

Cheers!  And thanks for all the help.
Jacob

Paula

Hi Jacob,

Normally you shouldn't run pMELTS below 1 GPa as that is the lower limit of the liquid calibration.  The solids, however, are the same in MELTS and pMELTS and are calibrated down to 1 atm.  For the special case where liquid is suppressed, it is alright to run Adiabat_1ph in pMELTS mode to 1 atm.  So you can use the method alluded to in the documentation for calculating the potential temperature.

Cheers,
Paula