News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

getting started in alphaMELTS

Started by pzanders4, February 13, 2015, 03:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pzanders4

This may be a very basic question for the melts community, but i am new to alphaMELTS and am having issues getting it to run and produce a coherent melting experiment. I create my new .melts file with my desired composition, set the f0 and other variables via the command options, but it spits out one number at a seemingly random temperature when i execute. I set the new temp ranges in the .melts file and am keeping the pressure constant. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is there another file i need to write to accompany the .melts file, so that the program knows what to do, or did i just miss something very basic?

thank you

Peter

Paula

Hi Peter,

Yes, there is another file, referred to as the settings_file in the documentation (but the actual file name can be whatever you want). alphaMELTS needs that in addition to a .melts file.

Also, how are you starting alphaMELTS? You can double click the run_alphamelts.command but not the executable. If you double click the alphamelts executable, the program will always have the default settings - pMELTS, isentropic, DELTAP +1000 bars (from memory; look at the alphamelts_default_env.txt file that came with your installation for a full list). Also, by default the temperature output is in Kelvin.

When you start run_alphamelts.command, you can specify the settings_file by typing '-f ', followed by the file name. There is more information about how to do this in the two alphaMELTS versions of the tutorial:

http://magmasource.caltech.edu/forum/index.php/board,12.0.html

For melting calculations I would start with the example isentropic_melt_env.txt file and modify it to suit your needs. Unless you choise a different location during installation, the examples file will be in a folder called 'examples' within the folder you downloaded from the alphaMELTS site.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Paula