News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Alphamelts output files

Started by Dengeo, March 26, 2017, 09:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dengeo

I'm having trouble finding the alphamelts output files. I've successfully used the output files before, but recently the alphamelts program runs successfully and the output files are not where they were stored before. I've searched the computer and cannot find where they are being stored. Any idea what the problem may be?

Paula

Hi Dengeo,

It depends how you are running alphaMELTS. I'm guessing that you are double-clicking the run_alphamelts.command link, in which case:

• If you are on Windows then, by default, the link will be in a folder called "bin" within your Documents folder; if you don't specify otherwise, the output files will be written to the same location.
  • If you are on a Mac then, by default, the link will be in a folder called "bin" in your homespace but the output files will be written to your homespace, and not within the "bin" folder. You may need to open Finder's Preferences and specifically add your homespace to the Sidebar.
In general, though, I recommend always using the '-p' switch and specifying the output folder. As well as ensuring that you can find the output files, '-p' makes it easy to separate results from runs at, say, different pressures or different potential temperatures.

• If you are running by opening the terminal you can type '-p folder_name'. In this case folder_name would just be relative to wherever you are running alphaMELTS from; ideally you'll be running alphaMELTS where your input files are located. If folder_name doesn't exist, it should be created by the script.
  • If you are double-clicking the run_alphamelts.command link then open Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder and make a folder where you want the output to go. When the script asks if you want to specific any command line switches, type '-p ' (the space after the 'p' should be optional on Mac but is required on Windows) and then drag the folder from Explorer/Finder onto the command line. The system will insert the complete path to folder_name for you.
There are some example screenshots of dragging a file to the command line in this post. Dragging a folder is similar - you just have to make an empty folder before running alphaMELTS, rather than relying on the script to generate it.

Let me know if the files remain elusive!

Paula