News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

[FAQ] Output files are blank or incomplete

Started by edmarshall4, May 16, 2019, 06:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edmarshall4

I'm encountering a problem where Rhyolite-MELTs runs successfully, but most of the output files are blank.

I'm running macOS High Sierra, X11 version 2.7.11 (XQuartz), and Rhyolite-MELTs that was downloaded 10-3-18. MELTs has previously functioned on this computer with no problems (when I was working with it in 2014) but after upgrading to High Sierra and updating X11, it has problems. I reinstalled Rhyolite MELTs just in case, but continue to have problems.

Here is an example of the problem:
I will start rhyolite-MELTs (v1.2) (this problem is encountered in the other versions, i.e. pMELTs (v5.6.1)) and open the default MORB.melts file from the tutorial. I immediately execute the default program with no changes. The program runs from 1500C to 980C successfully, and there are no errors in the terminal window. The program will have produced several files:

apatite.tbl
clinopyroxene.tbl
feldspar.tbl
fluid.tbl
liquid-model.inp
melts-liquid.tbl
melts.out
olivine.tbl
orthopyroxene.tbl
spinel.tbl

All of these files all are blank (i.e. contain no text) except liquid-model.inp, melts-liquid.tbl, and melts.out. Liquid-model.inp is a list that is composed of "-1" and "0". Melts-liquid.tbl is a comma delimited file that records the composition and physical properties of the liquid at each model step. Melts.out also records the composition and properties of the system at each model step. However, melts-liquid.tbl is only written to 1165C, rather than all the way to 980C. The melts.out file is written to halfway through recording the log for 1085C also not reaching 980C.

Additionally, if I press "find liquidus" before executing the program, then no data is written to melts-liquid.tbl.

Any help on this error would be appreciated!

Ed

Paula

Try exiting the program before you open the files. On Mac and Linux some of the output may not be flushed to the files until you exit the program. On Windows (WSL) the situation is worse - if you have the file open elsewhere then there may be an access error when Rhyolite-MELTS tries to write to it.

liquid-model.inp is an intermediate file used when you are running rhyolite-MELTS 1.1.0 or 1.2.0 (i.e. when there is speciation in the liquid). "Find Liquids" doesn't produce any output to file.

Paula

edmarshall4

That solved the problem!

Many thanks!

Ed