News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Failure of minimization

Started by Anna Sapegina, July 22, 2020, 02:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Sapegina

Greetings colleagues!

It;s my first experience with MELTs software.

I successfully have installed rhyolite-Melts on Linux. It works, but only particularly.
The program is able to find liquids for the bulk composition is used but the problem occurs when I try to set the "execution/halt" command. I always received the massage about quadratic converge that is failed after 101 iterations. Is there any problems with my initial parameters here? I tried to change P-T parameters, to add buffer path, to execute under unchanged T - unfortunately, it doesn't help.

I'm looking forward help!
Thank everyone in advance :)

Initial parameters:
Initial Composition: SiO2 46,7510
Initial Composition: TiO2 1,7274
Initial Composition: Al2O3 15,5268
Initial Composition: FeO 14,9041
Initial Composition: MgO 7,3114
Initial Composition: CaO 11,7104
Initial Composition: Na2O 2,0689
Initial Temperature: 1200,00
Final Temperature: 900,00
Initial Pressure: 9000,00
Final Pressure: 9000,00
Increment Temperature: 5,00
Increment Pressure: 0,00
dp/dt: 0,00
log fo2 Path: None

Paula

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the forum! Not quite sure what the problem is but a few things:

• The program doesn't understand ',' so you need to replace those with '.' - otherwise e.g. SiO2 is cut off at 46.0, and you may find that the program hangs.
  • Yes if you input all Fe as FeO, you need to have an fO2 buffer set. Make sure you turn the buffer on before "Find liquidus" or "Execute".
  • At ~1200oC there is only ~1% liquid. Sub-solidus fO2-buffered calculations are more difficult, and the algorithm often has problems crossing the solidus because there is a slight inconsistency between the Kress and Carmichael '95 model and the fO2 implied by the equilibrium assemblage.
  • So try turning off the buffer at this point and then continue execution. You should be able to run down to 900oC (or at least I was able to with the buffer initially set to FMQ).
There's more details here: https://magmasource.caltech.edu/forum/index.php/topic,954.msg1424.html

Hope that helps!
Paula

Anna Sapegina

Dear Paula!
Thank you very much, it helps a lot!
Everything works now  :D