News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Calculating end member compositions for pyroxene quadrilateral diagram

Started by Bhuvan, February 20, 2021, 05:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhuvan

Hi all,

I am trying to calculate the molefractions of Ferrosilite (Fs) and Wollastonite (Wo) from the given mole fractions of Diopside (Di), Hedenbergite (Hd) and Clinoenstatite (Cli-En) so that I can plot the compositional variation of pyroxenes during fractional crystallization in the pyroxene quadrilateral diagram of Morimoto, 1988.

Like you have mentioned, I have used the relation: Fs = Cli-En  + Hd - 2Di and
similarly, I have used the relation: 2Di = 2Wo + Cli-En to calculate the mole fraction of Wollastonite, but ended up with a negative value for Wo. As pyroxene quadrilateral is a ternary diagram, negative values do not plot within the ternary.

Is there a mistake in my approach? Any leads would be highly appreciated.

Paula

Hi Bhuvan,

It's Fs = En + 2Hd - 2Di, but that's probably just a typo. The reason you are getting negative Wo is that you are not including the Ca in the hedenbergite or other components.

For a pyroxene that lies in the quadrilateral, using independent end members En, Di, Hd:

total Ca = moles(Di) + moles(Hd)
total Fe = moles(Hd)
total Mg = 2*moles(En) + moles(Di)

I don't have Morimoto 1988 to hand but it looks like the Wo apex is Ca2Si2O6, rather than CaSiO3 like the mineral, which means:

molfrac(Wo) = ( molfrac(Di) + molfrac(Hd) ) / 2

molfrac(Fs) = ( molfrac(Hd) ) / 2

More generally for cpx using the MELTS set of end members:

molfrac(Wo) = ( sum of molfracs(Di,  Hd, alumino-buffonite,  buffonite, essenite) ) / 2*( sum of molfracs(En, Di, Hd) )

molfrac(Fs) = ( molfrac(Hd) ) / 2*( sum of molfracs(En, Di, Hd) )

Check out GeoPlotters (https://www.geoplotters.com/find-a-plot) for more information. It's an excellent resource.

Paula