News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

NEW Short Course: Thermodynamic modeling with alphaMELTS and other software

Started by Paula, July 31, 2018, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paula

Update October 1st, 2018: Workshop registration will open at approximately 4pm PST (11 pm GMT) today! See link in the reply below.

As the AGU abstract deadline approaches, we are pleased to announce a two day workshop to be held at the University of Maryland, near Washington DC, December 8th and 9th, prior to the AGU Fall Meeting. The instructors will be Paul Asimow and Paula Antoshechkina, from Caltech.

The short course will introduce users to the underlying thermodynamics, illustrate the capabilities and potential applications of individual MELTS-type models and give participants first hand experience running different MELTS programs and tools. At Caltech we develop and maintain alphaMELTS, a text-based front end to the rhyolite-MELTS, pMELTS and pHMELTS models, with a built-in trace element engine and much more. We will focus on the alphaMELTS front end at first, but will also be demonstrating a range of software and tools supported by Caltech and by the ENKI group, with an emphasis on interoperability between the various interfaces, including:

- Standalone alphaMELTS, which is a text-based front end, as well as MATLAB and Python interfaces to alphaMELTS functionality.
- Other interfaces to the MELTS family of algorithms, including the original MELTS graphical user interface, and MELTS for Excel.
- An introduction to ENKI and the cutting edge computational thermodynamics tools hosted there.

No previous knowledge of MELTS in general, or alphaMELTS in particular, is required. Participants may be of any nationality, and may be working in the United States or any other country, and all levels from students to senior scientists are invited. Although the workshop is arranged to be close to the AGU Fall meeting, you are welcome to attend whether or not you plan to attend the conference.

Participant support funds from NSF allow us to offer the course free of charge and with substantial to complete travel support for attendees; the level of support for transport may vary, but hotel accommodation and some meals should be covered for anyone accepted to the workshop. We expect to hold a second workshop at Caltech during 2019 (dates yet to be determined), so this may also be a convenient option for some potential attendees.

A workshop website and application form will be posted with a second workshop announcement later this summer. If you have any queries, or would just like to register an interest before formal registration is open, please don't hesitate to contact us (see (magmasource.caltech.edu for details) or browse the website, which includes details of previous workshops.

With best wishes,
Paul and Paula

sarahlambart

Hi Paula,

I have been an alphaMELTS (MELTS and pMELTS) user for a long time, but I'm interested in learning about other interfaces and algorithms (including rhyolite-MELTS).
I'm also thinking about integrating alphaMELTS in an advanced petrology class in my department and looking for tips and advice to do this.
Is this workshop adapted for this purpose or is it mostly dedicated for researchers with no experience with alphaMELTS?
Best,

Sarah

Assistant Prof. - University of Utah
Geology and Geophysics

Paula

Hi Sarah,

The workshop would be for researchers experienced in one or more MELTS interfaces and algorithms, as well as those new to all things MELTS. I should have made that more clear - will make sure to do so in the next circular, and I'll put up more details on a website sometime in the next few weeks.

For alphaMELTS, we will be concentrating on alphaMELTS 2, which includes rhyolite-MELTS and is more user friendly than older versions. There are other tools for calculation and visualization that may probably be new to you, and that will integrate well into a class situation.

Best wishes,
Paula

sarahlambart

Assistant Prof. - University of Utah
Geology and Geophysics

Paula

October 1st, 2018: Workshop registration will open at approximately 4pm PST (11 pm GMT) today, and will close on October 31st. This will give us time to confirm participants and, if space is available, offer spots to people on the waiting list with some time to spare before workshop and meeting housing deadlines.

The Workshop Website has lots of details about the workshop. The registration form will be at the bottom of the Logistics and Registration page. Feel free to contact me with any queries, or to register an interest before registration is formerly open.

Cheers,
Paula