News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

[FAQ] Melts Graphics Output Window is inactive

Started by Hurai, November 17, 2010, 11:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurai

Hello,

I am attempting to run a standalone version of MELTS using the Snow Leopard compatible version of Mac OS 10.6.1. I have made all steps as described in the web instructions. The GRACE was downloaded using Fink. The Melts-Mac-Os-10.6.1.zip was downloaded, un-zipped, renamed to Melts-public, but the Unix command "chmod 755 Melts-public" gave no output. Both programs separately work properly, but the MELTS program fails to yield graphical output ("could not open xmgrace"). The xmgrace.exe is located at /sw/lib/X11/grace/bin/. The Melts is located in other directory.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Vratislav Hurai

Paula

Hi Vratislav,

Apologies for the delay in replying.  The graphics button is disabled in the latest versions of MELTS on all platforms, both Mac and Linux.  Unfortunately the documentation on the OFM website is a bit misleading in implying that there will be graphics if Grace is installed.  I know that for the Leopard and Snow Leopard versions no Fink libraries are needed at runtime.  For older versions (e.g. the Power PC ones) it is possible that the Fink libraries may be needed so that menus and buttons will work; there will still not be any graphics though.

Instead, you can import the data from the .tbl and melts.out files into a program like Excel, OpenOffice or Matlab and plot it there.  If you use Matlab and want to generate ternary plots (such as the AFM plot featured in the old, outdated, MELTS documentation) then you might be interested in this:

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/7210

Make sure to read the comments below the file description if you have problems as a couple of bug fixes are offered there.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Paula

P.S. The Unix command "chmod 755 Melts-public" shouldn't give any output.  It is just used to make the file executable.