News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Creating phase diagrams on rhyolite-MELTS

Started by GoGreen5, October 09, 2017, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoGreen5

Hello,

My colleagues and I are using rhyolite-MELTS for undergraduate research and need to create an AFM phase diagram. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Paula

Hi,

Not sure if you are trying to generate AFM diagrams within the Rhyolite-MELTS graphical user interface (GUI) or using the output files. Early versions of MELTS did have AFM plots, as shown in the original 'tutorial': Testing MELTS installation using the sample input file - Try this first).

There have been no graphics tools in the downloadable version for a very long time now though, e.g:

1. [FAQ] Melts Graphics Output Window is inactive

(Ignore the bit about Fink, that was required on early Mac versions of MELTS but hasn't been needed for many years now.)

If you are trying to get the output files to make AFM plots then I suggest running through the MELTS GUI version of the tutorial hosted on this site:

2. [EX] MELTS (GUI) version of tutorial: 'Quick start using MELTS'

It seems the ternary plot routines for Matlab that are linked in the first post are still being actively used, so I assume they are compatible with recent versions of Matlab.

If you don't have access to Matlab then you might try setting up something similar in Excel. MELTS_Excel doesn't do fractional crystallisation but it has a very cool tool for importing the output files from the Rhyolite-MELTS GUI. It makes tables and various simple plots. You'd just need to add a couple of columns to do the trigonometry for the AFM plot.

Rhyolite-MELTS calculations within MELTS_Excel only work on Windows, but I have a Mac version of the workbook that just does the importing GUI files part. If that would help, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Paula

GoGreen5

Hello Paula,

Never mind about the last message, I was confused on what I needed to do. My colleagues and I would like to make a phase diagram on MELTS_Excel and would like some help getting used to MELTS_Excel. Also, it would be nice to have a Mac version of the work book so we can work on both PC and Mac.
Sorry it took two days to reply back.

Thank you for your time

GoGreen5

Hello again,

We were able to make a phase diagram using the data from the early-erupted Bishop tuff data and the MELTS_Excel review. One issue I can not figure out is how to import my .melts files into MELTS_Excel.

Thanks

Paula

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying. It turns out that version of MELTS_Excel that I was using (only for pulling in the melts.out and .tbl files; not for actual MELTS calculations) only works with Excel 2011 on Mac. I'm trying to update it to work with Excel 2016 and hope to post this very soon.

I don't know whether reading in .melts input files has been implemented yet. It isn't in the latest version I have. The website is having some issues today so I'll check when it's back up. Otherwise, I think you just have to copy and paste the values.

Paula

Paula

A link to a version of MELTS for Excel's 'Combine tbl' function that works in all versions of Excel on Windows and Mac (to my knowledge) is available on the alphaMELTS links page. You'll need to log in with your forum account to see the link, and double-click after downloading to extract the Excel file from the .zip archive.

Paula