News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

From trace element to major element

Started by jschools, November 03, 2017, 08:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jschools

I'm doing some calculations involving melting along an adiabat, then taking the resulting melt and crystallizing it along a PT path representative of the lithosphere. I'm using regular MELTS for both calculations (looking at Jupiter's small moon Io, so I don't need the pressure range of pMELTS). I am having some problems with potassium (K2O) as a major element in the initial calculations at depth, as its presence crashes the calculation. It works fine with K as a trace element.

Since I am doing a two part calculation, can I simply have K as a trace element in the first melting calculation, and convert it back to a major element K2O before the crystallization calculation? When I tested this out almost all the trace K went into the melt (as I would have expected) so this seems like a valid thing to do, but I wanted to check and see if there's something I'm missing that would make this unwise.

Thanks,
Joe

Paula

Hi Joe,

Apologies for the delay in replying - I was at a DCO workshop. Your approach sounds fine to me, as there are few solid phases for K2O to go into in the MELTS system. It is how I would do the calculation!

Cheers,
Paula