News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

What is the viscosity model used in the rhyolite-MELTS 1.2.0

Started by zihanwei, January 15, 2018, 11:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zihanwei

Hi,

I am currently using rhyolite-MELTS 1.2.0 and I noticed  that it can give the viscosity of the liquid phase in the result. However, I cannot find any information about what viscosity model it is based on in the papers about MELTS. Could you please tell me what the viscosity model is or where I can find it? Thanks a lot!

Paula

Hi,

It's Shaw 1972 (AJS November 1972 vol. 272 no. 9 870-893)
DOI: 10.2475/ajs.272.9.870

You're right it is not cited in Ghiorso and Sack 1995, though it has been included in the software for many years.

Paula

ritabrata.dobe

Hi,
I am new to MELTS and am trying to model viscosity variations in a 'wet' granitic magma. I am using the MS Excel based GUI for Rhyolite MELTS. I cannot find a tab in the results which shows the computed viscosity after equilibration. Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Regards,
Ritabrata

Paula

Hi Ritabrata,

You are right that viscosity is not in the output from MELTS for Excel. If you use one of the other GUI's (either the original rhyolite-MELTS or easyMelts) and then the "Combine tbl" function on the Tools tab in MELTS for Excel then viscosity will be the last column in the "liquid" tab of the output. You can get more information on these options at: https://magmasource.caltech.edu/alphamelts/links.php

As noted above, the viscosity model used in the GUI is rather old. The code for rhyolite-MELTS on the ENKI Portal has an option to use Giordano D, Russell JK, Dingwell DB (2008), Viscosity of magmatic liquids: A model. EPSL 271, 123-134. So far as I know the only way to access it, without compiling the code yourself, is via alphaMELTS for MATLAB/Python.

Paula