News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

Amoeba run duration for example

Started by rmpalin, July 05, 2019, 08:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmpalin

Hi,

I'm trying the amoeba example given on the short course webpage (https://magmasource.caltech.edu/alphamelts/1/exercises-for-melts.htm) and alphamelts keeps crashing before it finishes. Admittedly, I don't have the best PC, which may be to blame, but I'm wondering whether there is an issue that I'm encountering instead of the procedure actually failing? On the webpage, it says that "Amoeba will take quite a long time to run", but I don't quite know what to expect. Because the function is iterative in nature, it looks like alphamelts is stuck in a loop, but this is probably not true.

If a simple example like the MORB given above is taking 10+ hours before crashing, I don't know if I will be able to get anything from my own samples.

Thanks,

Richard

Paula

HI Richard,

Using the most recent input files from the alphaMELTS archive, which are the Rice University 2015 ones, it took 4 minutes to run this example in alphaMELTS 1.9 on a ~5 yr old Mac laptop.

(I haven't had a chance to upload anything from the University of Maryland 2018 workshop, and as there is another workshop at Caltech this week I'm not going to try until after that. But we probably won't be dong this example at this workshop anyway, as alphaMELTS 2 doesn't have amoeba yet.)

So I suggest you browse the amoeba files here and see if there are any differences to what you have from the older short course format. Also make sure you have updated alphaMELTS to 1.9 (or 1.8.1 if your computer is 32-bit and you are not using the virtual machine).

Best,
Paula