News:

alphaMELTS 1.9 is available at the download and information site.
alphaMELTS 2 standalone & for MATLAB/Python are available on request
(see the Version 2 tab on the download site for more details).
For news of all MELTS software see the MELTS Facebook page.

Main Menu

How to install rhyolite-MELTS on Linux

Started by Paula, November 25, 2017, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paula

For Linux systems, the latest rhyolite-MELTS version is linked on the Linux Download site. Installation is very similar to what is described on the Mac OS X rhyolite-MELTS page, except that you can skip the first few instructions as X11 is installed by default on Linux. Brief instructions are also given on the alphaMELTS links page and are expanded on a little here.

There are 32-bit and 64-bit files built on Ubuntu 14.04 and RHEL 6.7. They have been tested for forwards and backwards compatibility on multiple versions on Linux. In general you can use choose the one that most closely matches your operating system. Two exceptions are:

• For older Ubuntu systems (pre-12.10), use the RedHat versions.
  • For Fedora systems, use the Ubuntu versions.
Update: as of August 16th, 2018, there is also an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS build that addresses the problem described below (available for 64-bit only). The executable has not been posted at the OFM site yet, but is available from the alphaMELTS links page. An updated executable for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is also available; both are suitable for running in the corresponding Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 10 (see here).

The software is packaged as .zip files, which can usually be decompressed by double-clicking; right-click and choose 'Properties', or similar, to check that the permissions are set to executable. Alternatively, open a terminal program and the use the 'unzip' and 'chmod' command line tools. First, navigate to the folder where you downloaded the software (usually ~/Downloads, where '~' is shorthand for your Linux home space). Type:
cd ~/Downloads
... substitute folder name if your browser downloads folder is elsewhere
unzip rhyolite-MELTS-
... and then press the tab key, which should complete the file name, followed by return
chmod 755 Melts-rhyolite-public
... this makes sure the file is executable; if there is no output message then it has run correctly
./Melts-rhyolite-public
... this should start the program and give you a choice of rhyolite-MELTS version 1.0.2, 1.1.0 or 1.2.0, or pMELTS
... once you have chosen it should build the graphical user interface

You can move the executable to a more convenient place. You would then open the terminal program and navigate to the new location.

Note that it is generally not a good idea to double the click the executable, as described in the No choices given for rhyolite-MELTS / pMELTS graphical user interface for Linux (and the corresponding Where are my rhyolite-MELTS output files? for MacOS). An easy workaround that allows you to start rhyolite-MELTS from any file directory is described there.

Results computed using the rhyolite-MELTS/pMELTS software package should be properly cited.

Any problems, just let us know.

Thanks,
Paula

dariohubner

A question Paula
In ubuntu 18.04 i must follow the same intructions to install melts ???

i 'm writting
''chmod 755 Melts-rhyolite-public" and "chmod Melts-rhyolite-public"

but the terminal respond me:
"chmod: cannot access 'Melts-rhyolite-public': No such file or directory"

I'm in troubles jajajaj

Thanks for all

Paula

Yes, instructions for 18.04 would be the same.

Have you unzipped the file (either by double-clicking it or by typing "unzip rhyolite-MELTS-Ubuntu-14.04-64-bit.zip")?

You need to make sure you are in the same directory as the Melts-rhyolite-public executable before typing the "chmod 755 Melts-rhyolite-public" command, or the "./Melts-rhyolte-public" command.

What do you get if you type "pwd" (print working directory) or "ls" (list)?

Paula

dariohubner

Now this is me problem   :(

Paula

OK. A temporary fix is to install libpng12, as described here:

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/fix-libpng12-0-missing-in-ubuntu-1804.html

The link to the actual file is the "security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu" link here:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/libpng12-0/download

You should be able to double-click to install. You will probably need to put in your password for the dario account in the virtual machine.

Longer term - I'll try to make a new build on 18.04 (64-bit only) that links to libpng16 instead.

Paula

dariohubner

Thanks a lot !!!!!

The installation is ready !!!

jajajaj  ;D

Many regards and hugs fron Santiago, Chile.

Darío.

Paula

By the way, Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04 builds that fix this problem are available on the alphaMELTS links page.

Paula

Josh

am receiving this error code
please i need help

./Melts-rhyolite-public: error while loading shared libraries: libXft.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Paula

Which copy of the rhyolite-MELTS executable did you download? Also, which version of Linux is this?

Paula

Josh

I downloaded and tried to install the "rhyolite-MELTS-Redhat-32 bit". I am using the Ubuntu 20.04 interface on a windows laptop.

Josh

Paula

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) or a Virtual Machine?

If WSL, then there are specific instructions on the Windows specific board. I haven't finished updating for Ubuntu 20.04 yet, but hope to get it to it later today. In the meantime the "Updated for 2018" version should work, except that you probably don't need to install libxft2 and libxmu6 if you use the rhyolite-MELTS built on Ubuntu 18.04, see the alphaMELTS links page.

If Virtual Machine, then 32-bit isn't really supported anymore (there's a 32-bit version of VM alphaMELTS, based on Lubuntu 18.04, but it won't be updated in future). If you already have a virtual machine set up, you can try using the rhyolite-MELTS built on Ubuntu 14.04 but you will need to install libpng12, as described earlier in this thread. This is the link for the 32-bit version of libpng12.

Paula

Josh

I succeeded in installing MELTS on my laptop and its working just fine. :D :D

I downloaded the "rhyolite/pMELTS-Ubuntu-18.04" from the alphaMELTS links page and installed it.

Thank you!!!

Josh